Tuesday, April 30, 2013

As good as Starbucks or even better



There are only three tea rooms that are registered as a national treasure in Japan;  Taian, Mittan and Jyoan.  There is a replica of the Jyoan in Nagakute which is situated next to my city.  The tea room is called Koshoan.

 
You walk though the tea garden and purify you hands and mouth at tsukubai, the water basin.  Then, you enter the tea room from the short crawl-in doorway.  It is a small tea room uniquely designed with 3.5 tatami-mats.  You will find flower and hanging Zen words scroll displayed in the tokonoma alcove.  You sit in the tranquility.  The sweets are served while you watch the host preparing the tea for you. 
 

It will be an ephemeral 15 minutes.  You can experience this in Koshoan on every second Sunday of the month.  I love enjoying coffee at Starbucks, but having tea in the replica of a national treasure is also good.  If you know, this costs you only 250 yen, you would think it’s even better than Starbucks!!  Can you believe the price?!  It is the most reasonable tea ceremony that I ever know.  Attending this event every month is my trivial enjoyment these days.  Do you have any pleasing spot in your neighborhood?

7 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your writing style and presentation of viewpoints. Thanks for sharing it. This is truly amazingly great article writing!


    non woven bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so fortunate that there is something like that close to you, and so affordable, that you can go every month! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a public facility so you can enjoy the tea with such reasonable price. I hope many people visit there so that they can continue offering the service.

      Delete
  3. That's an incredible deal. You can pay more for a terrible bagged cup of low quality tea. I'd love to experience it while I'm in Japan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good place to try a tea ceremony casually. Do you have any experience on Sado, tea ceremony? There is another good place to try a tea ceremony at our neighbor city, Toki. It’s 500yen. I think that it’s still a good deal considering what you can experience. I have written about it in a past entry >>> http://everyonestea.blogspot.jp/2011/05/long-way-for-bowl-of-matcha-2.html

      Delete
  4. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    valve manufacturer

    ReplyDelete