Monday, March 14, 2011

To increase the absorption of catechin 30% more

It’s been three days since the earthquake occurred. The damaged areas are so many and broad. I think that we haven’t even seen the entire picture of damages and there are still a lot of people who need to be rescued. I feel sad for the suffering people in the affected areas.


It is said that one of the substances that has a good and big effect on your health is catechin. However, catechin is poorly absorbed into your blood. The reason is that catechin has large molecules. A TV program at NHK introduced a way to increase the absorption of catechin. The program says that it happens when you consume green tea with some other food. Can you guess what it is? Want a hint? Well, actually it is beverage. What do you think?

The beverage is milk. If you drink green tea with milk, the absorption of catechin increases 30% more. Green tea and milk!? Yuck! It is not coffee or English tea. We never drink green tea with milk or sugar. The TV program recommended milled sencha with milk. The milled tea has more catechin, beta-carotene and vitamin E than ordinary brewed tea. They called the drink green-tea late. Okay, if you call it so, it will sound more acceptable. I would try it. But milling sencha is kind of troublesome. So I would make green tea late with matcha. Matcha does not have as much catechin as milled sencha, but it has more beta-carotene and vitamin E. This is my matcha latte recipe >>> http://everyonestea.blogspot.com/2009/08/iced-matcha-latte.html


SenchaMilled senchaMatcha
Catechin (mg)40.5185.9145.2
Beta-carotene (μg)Not found83.5537.0
Vitamin E (mg)0.020.050.61

6 comments:

  1. Hi There,

    I really like your blog and I hope that I click on the correct Japanese button below to post this. ;)
    I find this study very interesting because it is the opposite of another study which says that adding milk to tea is bad for catechin absorption.
    Here is the link: http://www.teanewsdirect.com/2008/01/health-benefits-of-tea-problem-with-milk/#more-387
    I am interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link for the interesting article. The both studies on the article and the TV program I saw seem contradicting each other. I regret to say that I can’t think of any explanation for the difference between them.

    I have heard that milk makes absorption of nutrition slower or milder in general. So the theory of the article sounds right.

    On the other hand, the TV program introduced just a fact that catechin were absorbed 30% more TO YOUR BLOOD when it was drank with milk. What I saw was an experiment. The examinees drank the tea in the morning and were collected their blood 6 times in a day. As a result, they found out that drinking tea with milk increases the absorption of catechin to your blood. They are not sure for the reason yet.

    I would like to know the explanation for the different result, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Thanks for your blog! I'm writing a story that'd feature tea ceremony a bit, and I hope I can use your posts as reference, if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. You have given such a good idea about tea and sowed how healthy it is! You are welcome to juicermagazine.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea is one of the most commonly consumed beverages in the world, and green tea is becoming increasingly popular, accounting for around 20% of total global tea production.

    Thanks
    Catechins
    Catechin
    Green Tea Catechins
    Catechins Tea

    ReplyDelete